Vasantha, a naïve girl from a small village called Srirangam near Trichy grew up by learning the virtues of the land. She schooled till household chores gained more importance. She married and went to a distant land. Had pleasure, pain and pressure of running a middle-class household in the city of dreams, Mumbai. Together with her husband, N.Jayaraman, raised children under difficult circumstances. And when the efforts were ready to pay off, she was struck by cancer that took away the breath out of her body. But the soul remained and ignited a spark in her children to do something so that no more being can be in the clutches of this dreaded disease.
The urges that her soul ignited took the shape of any organization, Vasantha Memorial trust. Dr. R. Sundarajan, a leading neurologist in Trichy along with his friends & associates helped to formulate the trust and aided it to give the inaugural shape. It was formally opened on 4th Dec 1993 , on the 54th Birthday of Mrs. Vasantha , at the hands of Mr. N. Jayaraman and Shakti , a 6 year old with blood cancer. The minimum required amount of Rs.2500/- was deposited and all actions thence was of Vasantha memorial Trust.
Growth & expansion
- 8th Sept 1996 – Coimbatore shift,
- 4th Dec 1999, Mumbai branch opened .
- 20th Feb 2005 – Chennai branch opens at the premises of GKR Charities.
- 18th Feb 2007 – base shift to Ashok Nagar, Chennai .
- 27th Aug 2008 – Opens its own Charitable cancer hospital at its first its own property – Vasantha memorial cancer centre , Ashok Nagar Chennai
- 27th Aug 2011 – Vasantha Illam, Home for outstation patient opens in chennai
- 4th Dec 2011 – Vasantha Memorial cancer centre opened at kannamwar nagar,Vikhroli Mumbai .
- 26th Aug 2013 – Vasantha Veedu – staff residences opened at KK nagar, Chennai.
- 15th Jun 2019 – A new expanded premises for the Mumbai branch inaugurated
- 15th Jun 2019 – A dedicated centre for cancer victors’ rehabilitation is opened